Thursday 29 December 2011

Sparks in the Kiln: Term 4 Pottery: 2011

I started a new series entitled "Little Pretties". The texture is from a doily that was given to me by my mother. I have a thing for doilies, and was looking for a way to incorporate them into my pieces. I'm pleased with the end results. 











This bowl took me 7 weeks to create, mainly because I only get one day a week in the studio. 
This piece was created for Dave & Fiona McDonald a.k.a. The Macca's. It was a farewell gift as they were getting ready to plant a new church in Darwin Aus. after being here in Canberra for 20+ years. 

My goal was to collect leaves from people in the church. I asked people to bring me a leaf from their garden.

I placed the leaves on the inside of the bowl and bottom side. The bottom side also has the names of the giver near their leaf.  I loved the process of making this bowl, and I loved the meaning behind this bowl.

Sadly the Macca's have had to put moving Darwin on hold. Just 2 weeks before their departure Dave was diagnosed with lung cancer. I have given them the bowl and was pleased to hear from Dave this past weekend that it's full of fruit. Just like their lives. . . full of good fruit even in the midst of trials and hard times.

I've had this piece in mind for several months.
 It is a memorial piece for our dear friends in California who lost there sweet baby girl after 33 days of fighting for her life. 

I wanted something subtle and something that big brother could contribute to. Hence the bud vases.





Posted by Picasa

That sums up Term 4: 2011.

2 comments:

  1. HI Sara Erin and I just discovered you site...Erin has a new Email and would love to hear from you. Jenny gave Erin a pottery wheel for Christmas and today may be the day to make pottery..any advice from an expert....love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, these pieces are absolutely amazing--the perfect marriage of craft and heart. Amazing! :). Just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete