Thursday 29 December 2011

Sparks in the Kiln: Term 3 Pottery: 2011



This was the term of non traditional firings. . . and I loved it.

First up, sawdust firing. The end results will be a decorative piece of pottery, not a food safe product.

Trish & I loading the kiln (barrel) with sawdust.

Checking the depth of the sawdust.

Here are my pieces. Photo holders and well, just a decorative piece.

All loaded and ready to go.





The final product a week later.

Digging out our pieces.



The end results. 

This piece I made with exhibition in mind. I've never made a piece solely for an exhibition. I always make pieces with people in mind so this was a bit of a personal challenge for me.





I also attempted a new technique.Patching slabs of clay together. I was pleased with the end results and hope to do more of this type of work. 



Unfortunately it didn't make the exhibition deadline. Still bummed about it, but I'm ready for next year's exhibition! This piece is entitled "Bits of the Bush: Patchwork"

Woodfire raku. Here's a little secret . . . raku firing is my most favorite type of firing.

Tara and I getting our trash bins ready for our pieces.

Stoking the fire.

The following pictures are what happens when you wait for the kiln to reach the right temperature.




Kiln is ready, pieces are in.

First lot of pieces ready to be removed from the kiln and placed into our prepared trash bins.


 Waiting to lid the trash bins.

 My basket just placed into the trash bin.

Notice how the glazes are already showing up some sweet colors!

  I'm gettin excited!

 A few more pieces placed in the trash bins.



Below are my pieces from the Raku firing.









One day I will raku fire in my own backyard. 

That sums up Term 3: 2011

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment